Top 17 Reasons Why Your Community Calendar Sucks or Sucks the Life Out of You
Does your community calendar feel like a ghost town?
Or, are the events in your calendar the result of your blood, sweat, and tears and you're over it?
We get it.
Thriving communities often have one thing in common - a robust local community events calendar where events and activities both big and small are the interlocking pieces. Everyone—from residents eager for local happenings to tourists seeking authentic experiences—relies on a single source of truth: the community calendar. Yet, achieving this centralized harmony is often where the challenge lies.
Sadly, most communities are plagued by calendars that suck or suck the life out of the people responsible for them - in most communities, this includes Main Street or Downtown Organizations, Chambers of Commerce, Tourism / CVB / Destination Marketers, but also organizations like the theater, library, museum, school districts, city, county and more.
It doesn't have to be this way.
Let's look at some of the most common shortcomings that keep you from experiencing the benefits of a robust community calendar that runs on autopilot to free you to lead the community forward.
We See Community Calendars Fail for a Lot of Reasons
This list reflects common problems, often more than one is present. The worst situation is where your calendar requires effort from you, your community partners, and local businesses only to deliver limited value.
Let's face it, being responsible for a calendar that doesn't do the legwork for you is soul-crushing busywork. Alas, it's common but you don't have to be stuck doing this work.
- You don't have one on your website - Yes... you need one
- People don't know you want their events
- People don't tell you about their events
- You have to scour Facebook and other places to find community events
- The submission process is painful, repetitive or requires effort
- You don't promote events from your calendar or remind people their events are welcome
- It's hard to take events from your calendar and distribute them in your email newsletter i.e. you have to copy-and-paste... a lot
- Your community partners have a calendar and you think that's good enough - it's not for at least 3 reasons
- Your community partners are too busy to tell you about their events (or for you to tell them)
- Your calendar is not searchable or filterable
- Past events don't fall off on their own
- Past events are no longer accessible when people go to their links
- It's time-consuming for your team, your partners, and your community
- Events don't get their own page for easy sharing & SEO
- You think Google Calendar is a solution for a public community calendar
- Events don't have images or other key data like location or date
- You or your community has to do something to have events appear as opposed to the events showing up automatically when they post to their own website
So, how many of these problems sound like your situation?
Imagine a Future Where Community Calendars Are Effortless and You Are Free
Reflect for a moment on a world where the clunky, cumbersome community calendar is a thing of the past. Imagine stepping beyond the drudgery of endless event entries and disjointed communication.
With Locable's calendar software that updates automatically through our Local Connections™ technology and our proven Marketing 3-4-5™ approach, you're not just eliminating those 17 nagging issues—you're reclaiming precious time to invest in activities that truly enrich your community and your career.
Envision a future where virtually every event you'd like to include finds its place in your calendar, where your efforts shift from tedious data entry to meaningful community engagement. This is what happened when GoAugusta! adopted Locable for their community in Kansas.
This is not just a dream, but a tangible reality with Locable, paving the way for a brighter, more impactful future for you and your community. Let's redefine what's possible together.